According to The Nemours Foundation, there are some risks to your children’s health associated with being exposed to too much screen time. Particularly when your child’s screen time activities are un-monitored. They are as follows:
- They have an increased risk for obesity.
- They are more likely to exhibit aggressive behavior learned from age inappropriate content.
- They are more likely to engage in risky behaviors learned from age inappropriate content.
- They have a higher risk of making unhealthy food choices, due to exposure to commercials for high sugar/high calorie food and drinks (Source: Barr-Anderson, 2009)
- They have an increased risk for developing ADD/ADHD, screen addiction, and sleep disorders.
Pay attention to your child’s behavior and overall health to assess how much screen time is too much screen time for your child. Additionally, always respectfully and appropriately monitor your child’s screen time activities and content.